Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wine Blogging Wednesday #65: "Snow Day" - Tranche Cellars Red

Today is Wine Blogging Wednesday #65 and our hostess, Michelle Lentz also known as "Wine Girl" of My Wine Education has asked wine bloggers everywhere to look out our windows and imagine snow and then imagine what wine we would like to enjoy during a "snow day." In Walla Walla, Washington it is easier to imagine snow, then it is what wine we want to drink. You see, no matter where we are in the valley, we can often get a glimpse of the the snow covering the Blue Mountains and the foothills in the winter months, but in Walla Walla, Washington imagining what wine to drink can be difficult since there are so many great wines!

Last Wednesday, I met with friend-wine lover-winery web designer-extroidinare, Julia Herres of Winery Designs at one of my favorite places to enjoy a glass of wine - The Vineyard Lounge at the Marcus Whitman Hotel. And no, it wasn't snowing. But we sat, I can honestly say, is one of my favorite places to enjoy, with or without the snow, a glass of wine. Especially if you get a table with the comfy chairs or the sofa by the fireplace. The elegant room gives us an outside view, with many windows, of the impressive entrance to downtown Walla Walla.

Decisions. Decisions. Decisions. Julia and I spent about 20 minutes trying to decide what bottle we wanted to order from the large book of Walla Walla and imported wines. Finally, Julia pointed out the Tranche Cellars Red - 2004. Neither one of us had tried it yet - and that bottle would be the star of the evening - - along with the cheese and fruit plate.

Tranche Cellars is an "off-shoot of the Corliss Estates vine." Corliss Estates is owned by Michael Corliss and Lauri Darnielle with Kendall Mix leading the winemaking for both wineries. Inside the bottle of Tranche Cellars Red - 2004, adorning a label reminding one of currency, is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Cabernet Franc. When the server handed me the cork, at first glance I couldn't help from noticing the residue of "wine diamonds" on the bottom of the cork. Just that alone, I knew I was in for a treat. And as we swirled the wine, we couldn't help notice the rich sediment in the bottom of our glasses. This was definitely a wine worthy of decanting.

Julia and I decided to take notes on this luscious red blend we were enjoying. As I refer back to our notes, the aroma was smoky with notes of coffee and mocha. The taste was bold and round with notes of blackberry, brown sugar and creme brulee - - with just a hint of licorice. We took our time and enjoyed this wine - like four hours worth! Tranche Cellars Red is just too good of a wine to hurry through and it gave us a good reason to relax from a busy day in a big comfy chair to talk a little gossip and a little wine biz by the warm and cozy fireplace. Tranche Cellars Red is definitely a "snow day" wine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best things about a "snow day" is staying put and relaxing in the company of a good friend! Sounds like a lovely time and a wonderful wine! hmmn, maybe I'll get a chance to try it at the WBC?

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Sounds like a lovely way to unwind. I have never been to the Lounge, but am curious to go sometime. Thanks for piquing my interest!

Wine-Beer-Washington said...

Catie where are you getting the list for Wine Blogging Wednesday? http://www.winebloggingwednesday.org/ hasn't been updated in almost a year :-(

wild walla walla wine woman said...

I grovel. I whine. I ask around. I hunt down Lenn Thompson of Lenndevours.(the creator) on Twitter and hassle him.
Cheers,
C~

Wine-Beer-Washington said...

OK I will fine tune my groveling skills. I have been leaving comments on the blog and forum without result nor reply. I can amplify my persistence.:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...