Friday, May 11, 2012

Spring Fling: Waterbrook Sangiovese Rosé - 2011

Every so often I get hooked on a wine and will refer to it as my "wine of the week and/or wine of the month." No, there are no ribbons, trophies, scores or gifts I send off to the masters who have tickled my palate. There are no ceremonies and no headline news. These wines that I have become enthused with I will enjoy until a new wine comes along - - especially a younger and prettier wine. Yes, cold and heartless - I will empty the bottle, six pack or case, until another wine tickles my fancy.  I have made no commitment or vows to any of them, though sometimes polyamorous, I am free to move on to the next wine - a one vintage fling. Next! 

Sometimes I do find myself romancing the next new vintage just like I have done with Waterbrook Winery's new release of  Sangiovese Rosé - 2011.

Last week was Spring Release Weekend here in Walla Walla and I found myself attending a lot of pre-during-and-post parties. A couple of the functions, guests brought bottles to share and sure enough the pretty-in-pink Waterbrook Sangiovese showed up and called out my name, "Hellooo Catie."

The first time this rosé caught my attention was last year at Feast Walla Walla and I was hooked with the first sip. I used all of my tokens mainly on glasses of this wine. Hey, it was a hot day in that tent and this cool and refreshing wine quenched my thirst. It also reminded me of a cold crisp watermelon.

This year at Feast Walla Walla, once again the Waterbrook Sangiovese Rosé - 2011 waved me down. They told me I would like this vintage even better. They were right - - or maybe I couldn't remember what the 2010 tasted like - - but no matter. I fell in love with this wine - - all over again.

Waterbrook Sangiovese Rosé - 2011 is a crisp strawberry colored wine with rosebud and watermelon aromatics. This 100% sangiovese was cold soaked for 50 hours before removing the skins. The  finishing result is a dry rosé with bright flavors of strawberry, watermelon and balanced acidity. Notes of raspberry linger on the finish.

How to pair such a wine?   Waterbrook Sangiovese Rosé is made for summer sipping all by itself, but it's still very food friendly. I would pair it with fruit salads, grilled vegetables, spicy seafood dishes and even a light, yet sweet BBQ sauce slathered over chicken or pork ribs. Sante Rosé!   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...