Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Wine Blog Wednesday #20 - Isenhower Cellars

Today is Wine Blogging Wednesday #20 --"Off-the-Beaten-Path Whites." I have to admit, I have not been the best at participating on WBW. Why? Sometimes I forget when Wednesday is! What are "Wine Blogging Wednesdays?" They were started by Lenn Thompson of Lenndevours - New York Vines, Wines and Dines. Wine bloggers are given a theme and this week with Summer around the corner, we are to choose a crisp, cool white wine. I think we get to choose anything with the exception of Chardonnay, Rieslings and Sauvignon Blanc. So, as soon as I saw the theme, I knew exactly what wine I would choose. Not only does it follow the theme, but the label is just as summery and bright.

Last summer, I visited Isenhower Cellars and was delighted to taste this Rhone-style blend of Viognier (53%) and Roussanne (48%) known as "Snapdragon." This was their 2004 vintage and the aromatic and light colored Viognier paired with the gold color of the rich Roussanne was unique. The taste was full bodied with pear and honey notes, but spicy like Seattle's Market Spice Tea. The 2004 vintage is still available through Avalon Wine.

Isenhower has released the 2005 "Snapdragon" which will be their fourth vintage of Washington state's most unique white wine. This is definitely a great summer wine for those afternoons by the pool and for backyard entertaining. I would pair it with grilled oysters, shrimp ka-bobs, spicy oyster shooters, Phad Thai noodles or cheese quesadillas topped with mango salsa. Cheers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...