Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Walla Walla - 2005 Wine Destination of the Year

Once again Sunset Magazine gives accolades to Walla Walla. – naming the area 2005 Wine Destination of the year.

Sunset Magazine has been very supportive of the Walla Walla Valley and has showed the abundance of the Valley to their readers. In their March 2002 issue, they named Walla Walla's Main street as being the best in the West and recently in the April 2005 issue, they celebrated us as the new food and wine destination featuring fresh menus with foods from the area.

Walla Walla was one of three finalists for the award and last week was named the winner of Wine Destination of the Year. Winners were nominated and chosen by a 17 member judges panel that were comprised of wine journalists, sommeliers and wine retailers.

Walla Walla’s wineries have already made a $100 million economic impact on the area. Although more than 60 wineries operate, there is much more to the Valley than wine. Visitors to the Walla Walla Valley will discover the historic downtown, a developed art community, sophisticated dining, and home town friendliness. Welcome to Walla Walla!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well deserved, indeed. My wife and I drove over to Walla Walla from Seattle 2 weekends ago. What a great time we had!

We usually stop at the Yakima Valley when we go wine touring, but this time decided to head over, and boy am I glad. When we go to Yakima, we were used to having not much to do in the evening, after wine tasting. I was surprised at how nice downtown Walla Walla is. We stayed at the fantastic Marus Whitman, and from there we walked to Whithouse Crawford for a delicious dinner (and they have a great wine cellar). And then walked over to 26 Brix for after dinner drinks. That too is a cool place and everyone we talked with is very knowledgable about wines.

And the wine tasting was unbelievable! We visited 10 wineries in Walla Walla and loved them all. I was shocked to find out there are close to 70 wineries in Walla Walla.

I will be back, indeed.

wild walla walla wine woman said...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for writing. I am very happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience in Walla Walla. The downtown is lovely, isn't it? As you have just experienced, some of the best wines in the world are being made in Walla Walla. I am curious - how did you find my blog? Thanks again and glad to hear that you will return as our guest in Walla Walla.

Cheers,
Catie

Anonymous said...

Catie,

I google'd "wine blog" and off I went. I first found another site (can't remember) and they had a link to you.

When I saw your "3 C's" I knew I was in the right place! You and I share a few things in common for sure!

If you have not already done so, you must try a Fran's Gold Bar. Fran's Chocolates are wonderful, and made fresh locally here in Seattle.

Take care,

Dave

wild walla walla wine woman said...

Love Fran's Gold Bars!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...