Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween: Numbskull

No, I am not calling anyone a name ... 


Last weekend I gathered with 19 of my "sorority" sisters for our annual "tea." However, I would defy anyone to even find a tea bag at our gatherings.  Instead, corks fly like witches on brooms and bubbles dance in our wine glasses. For that true effect of Halloween gore, every good party needs a little red wine, and we usually keep a few bottles around. One of the sister's very generous husband Rand, a wine writer and former wine entrepreneur, sent Lynn to the gathering with a bottle of NumbSkull BDX - 2012 from Mark Ryan Winery in Walla Walla. 

Numbskull is a new label created by Mark Ryan showcasing some of the best of Walla Walla with the first two wines highlighting a GSM (Syrah, Grenache, and Mourvedre), and a Right Bank Bordeaux-inspired BDX. We were fortunate enough to sit a spell and sip the BDX, a blend of 69% Merlot, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon,  and 3% Petit Verdot.

The wine actually surprised me - - I am not sure what I was expecting, considering the skull heads on the label, but the red blend itself was just stunning - - elegant.  Dark cherry, cocoa, a hint of vanilla, and a bit of toast. Rather like biting into a chocolate covered cherry. It was a rather big round wine, yet smooth, and definitely one you could lay down for a few more years. It was a treat, and certainly no trick (groan).

Happy Halloween from my "sisters" and me. If you are out and about, please drive safe. 








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...